It is time to up your Walking Taco game with this Walking Taco Salad that is Paleo and AIP friendly. This salad is perfect for a Super Bowl gathering, a celebration, or even for a fun, easy weeknight dinner option.
I have been a huge fan of Walking Tacos ever since I had my first one at a County Fair. So, I decided to put a little bit of a spin on this by turning into a salad!
One of the most common ways to make Walking Tacos is by placing the filling into a bag of chips. I am not really a fan of this method.
Top 3 Reasons Why This Walking Taco Salad is Better Than Your Average Walking Taco?
- The chips that are commonly used in most Walking Tacos are filled with all kinds of processed ingredients that we should not be putting into our bodies. This salad calls for Plantain Chips instead. If you have no idea what Plantains are or if you have never had them, we will be discussing this further in a minute.
- There usually isn’t much room in the chip bags to mix everything together.
- If you are making this salad for a crowd, you can just use disposable bowls which makes for easier cleanup.
What Are Plantains?
Plantains are a close relative to the banana and are sometimes mistaken for them. They are technically a fruit, but they are often eaten and cooked as if they are a vegetable. They can be a great substitute for rice, potatoes, or potato chips. Plantains are very versatile and are typically inexpensive. You can cook them at any stage of ripeness and they are used in a variety of dishes. Despite, their popularity in various countries, Plantains are not as common in the US but, you are still able to find them in larger grocery stores.
How To Make Paleo & AIP Walking Taco Salad
This Walking Taco Bowl is so versatile. That is one of the reasons why I am in love with this salad bowl!
This salad only takes a total of 10 minutes to prep and 10 minutes of cook time. And best of all, if you have a lot of people to feed, it is so easy to scale this Walking Taco Salad for a larger crowd.
- Brown the ground beef: Using a large pan, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Season with salt, black pepper, yellow onion, garlic powder, the remainder of the spices. and lime juice. Drain off any of the excess fat and set aside.
- Make the Kale Slaw: Mix together all of the ingredients into a bowl. Set aside.
- Make the Coconut Cilantro Lime Dressing: Place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble the Walking Taco Salad: Place the Kale Slaw into the bottom of a bowl. Top with the ground beef mixture, black olives, sliced avocado, and plantain chips. Top with the Coconut Cilantro Lime Dressing and garnish with Cilantro.
Can I Make This Walking Taco Salad with Chicken?
Yes! You sure can! Shredded Chicken would be a great option instead of ground beef in this Walking Taco Salad.
Can I Make This Salad Ahead of Time?
This salad is best enjoyed fresh, but if you do decide to make it ahead of time, I would suggest that you store the components separately and assemble when you are ready to serve to keep everything fresh.
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 lbs. Ground Beef
- 2 tsp. Cumin (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Lime, juiced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste (omit Pepper for AIP)
- 2 Cups Kale Slaw
- 2 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, minced
- 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sea Salt, to taste
Coconut Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 (13 oz) Can Coconut Milk
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 (4.5 oz) Bags Artisan Tropic Plantain Strips
- 1/4 Cup Black Olives
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
For The Taco Meat
- Place 2 tbsp. Olive Oil into a large skillet and heat to medium heat. Add in the ground beef and yellow onion. Saute for about 5 minutes or until meat is fully cooked. Add in the cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and lime juice and mix until combined. Set aside.
For The Kale Slaw
- In a bowl, mix together the Kale Slaw, lime juice, cilantro, Apple Cider Vinegar, and sea salt. Set aside.
For the Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
To Assemble the Walking Taco Salad
- Place the Kale Slaw into a bowl. Top with the ground beef, black olives, plantain chips, the Coconut Cilantro Lime Dressing, and Cilantro.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 635 Total Fat 47g Saturated Fat 20g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 22g Cholesterol 105mg Sodium 1076mg Carbohydrates 21g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 5g Sugar 6g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 37g