This Instant Pot meatloaf makes for an easy and comforting weeknight meal. It is Paleo, Whole30, and AIP compliant and best of all it is made in the Instant Pot!
When I was a kid, one of my favorite dinners was meatloaf. Smothered in ketchup and served with mashed potatoes and green beans.
But that meatloaf was filled with breadcrumbs, dairy, and covered in ketchup that had high fructose corn syrup and sugar. And the mashed potatoes were packed with sour cream. Not the healthiest!
The good news is I have made a few simple swaps, and have created the most delicious and healthiest Paleo, AIP, and Whole30 meatloaf dinner that tastes even better than the meatloaf from my childhood.
Meatloaf is one of those comfort food dinners that is always filling and delicious. The thing about meatloaf is that it always takes a long time! I have made meatloaf in a loaf pan many times and that can typically take at least an hour to make. Not with this recipe!
All you need for this recipe is your Instant Pot and you are in business for a comforting and simple meatloaf dinner. If you haven’t taken the Instant Pot plunge, do it now. This machine is such a time saver in the kitchen. I whipped up this tender meatloaf and mashed sweet potatoes in just 20 minutes!
How To Make Meatloaf in the Instant Pot
The first thing you will want to do to whip up this super flavorful Instant Pot Meatloaf is to combine all of the ingredients together. Ground Beef, yellow onion, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, parsley, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Shape the mixture into a loaf, place onto aluminum foil and seal it up.
Layer the cut up sweet potatoes and place them onto the bottom of your pressure cooker into an even layer. Pour the chicken broth over the top.
Most pressure cookers will come with a rack that you can lay on top of the sweet potatoes for a steady platform for your meatloaf. Adjust any potatoes that are sticking up and preventing an even surface.
Ensure that the steam release is set to “sealing” and turn the pressure cooker to Manual mode for 20-25 minutes. Once it has finished cooking, use the quick release method to allow the steam to escape.
Once the meatloaf is cooked, you will carefully pull it out (lifting the rack out makes this part easy).
After removing the meatloaf from the Instant Pot, add the ghee, coconut milk, garlic powder, salt & pepper to the sweet potatoes. Use a potato masher to mash up your sweet potatoes right in your Instant Pot. Make sure to stir to make sure everything is combined evenly.
Would you Like To Customize Your Instant Pot Meatloaf?
You can easily customize this Instant Pot Meatloaf. That is the beauty of it! You can experiment with different veggies and spices. But be sure not to overdo it! Meatloaf is not a complicated dish. It does not need many additions. Choose a few herbs, veggies, and aromatics that work well together. Don’t complicate things by adding too many ingredients.
Here are a few different ways you can customize this Instant Pot Meatloaf.
- Chop up ½ cup of mushrooms and add them to the meat mixture.
- For added texture and flavor, you can incorporate leeks, shallots, and garlic in the meatloaf.
- Substitute ground turkey for ground beef.
- Do you like Applesauce? You can serve this Instant Pot Meatloaf with my Instant Pot Applesauce on the side.
- You can also make a French Onion Gravy to pour over your meatloaf. All you would need is the leftover drippings from the meatloaf, 2 tbsp. Arrowroot Starch, ½ yellow onion, chopped, 1 cup chicken broth, and 2 tsp. thyme. After the meatloaf and sweet potatoes have finished cooking, remove them from the Instant Pot. Pour any of the juices from the meatloaf into the Instant Pot. Add in the remaining gravy ingredients and set the Instant Pot to saute. Stir occasionally. When the gravy has hit the right consistency and there are no lumps, turn off the Instant Pot. Serve this gravy over the meatloaf and mashed sweet potatoes.
Either way, you dress it up, this Instant Pot Meatloaf Dinner with Mashed Sweet Potatoes makes for the perfect weeknight meal!
Can I Make This Meatloaf without Aluminum Foil?
If you are concerned about the toxins in Aluminum Foil and you do not feel comfortable using it, don’t despair. I always have a plan B when it comes to things like this.
If you do not feel safe using Aluminum Foil, I would recommend using the Pot in Pot method. In case you aren’t familiar with the Pot in Pot method, Pressure Cooking Today has a great tutorial on How To Use the Pot In Pot Method in Your Pressure Cooker.
What Kind of Meat is Best for Meatloaf?
You can use any kind of ground meat to make meatloaf, including ground beef, ground turkey, or ground pork. High-fat meat, such as ground chuck, makes a more tender meatloaf. I like to blend half ground beef with half ground turkey, but you can use 100% ground beef or other ground meat if you would like.
How To Store This Meatloaf
I would store this meatloaf in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- 2lbs. Ground Beef
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onions
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Nutritional Yeast (can use up to 2 tbsp.)
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Parsley
- 2 tsp. Thyme
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper (omit for AIP)
Sweet Potato Mash
- 1 lb. Sweet Potatoes, washed & quartered
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 4 tbsp. Ghee (omit for AIP)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste (omit the Pepper for AIP)
French Onion Gravy (optional)
- Pan Drippings from Meatloaf
- 2 tbsp. Arrowroot Starch
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. Thyme
For The Meatloaf
- Lay the quartered sweet potatoes into the bottom of the pressure cooker in an even layer. Pour the chicken broth over the top. Lay the rack over the sweet potatoes.
- Combine all of the ingredients together for the meatloaf. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place onto aluminum foil and shape into a boat. Place the meatloaf on top of the rack in the pressure cooker and secure the lid.
- Ensure that the steam release is set to "sealing" and turn the pressure cooker to Manual mode for 20-25 minutes.
- Once finished cooking use the quick release method to allow the steam to escape.
- Carefully lift the meatloaf out of the Pressure Cooker and place onto a baking sheet to cool.
For The Sweet Potato Mash
- After removing the meatloaf, add the remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot for the sweet potatoes and mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Remove the mashed sweet potatoes from the Instant Pot. Set aside and keep warm until ready to use.
For The French Onion Gravy (optional)
- Pour any of the juices from the meatloaf into the Instant Pot. Add the remaining gravy ingredients and set the Instant Pot to saute mode. Stir occasionally. When the gravy has hit the right consistency and there are no lumps, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve the gravy over the meatloaf and the mashed sweet potatoes.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1068 Total Fat 70g Saturated Fat 33g Trans Fat 2g Unsaturated Fat 29g Cholesterol 267mg Sodium 1937mg Carbohydrates 36g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 6g Sugar 11g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 74g